Friday, January 11, 2008

I woke up in Indonesia.

Sellamat Sori! (good evening)

I woke up in Indonesia (West Papua) It has been quite an adventure. Busy roads with the sound of beeping horns and sometimes 4-5 people zooming by on one motorbike. Their version of fast food here is a man walking down a street, carrying two cases of donuts on one stick on his shoulders.

Yesterday we had an amazing clinic. We treated about 87 people in a nearby village. At the start of the clinic, while we were doing our teaching, 30 year old, Tinki, came with her two daughters. She was drenched in sweat and shivering, too weak to stand. A few of us rushed over to her. We suspected she had a really dangerous strand of Malaria. As we tested her for it, she shared with us her story. Seven years ago, she was physically blind, and a devout Muslim. But God healed her eyes and she saw again. She beieved that Jesus can heal, and he has been her Savior ever since. I checked her temperature and it was dangerously high. In between her telling us the story, she fell in and out of consciousness, having fits. I was really worried about brain damage, and we didn't have strong enough medication to help her. I asked her if she would go to the hopsital, and she spoke saying, her and her family live in the garden. And her husband recycles rubbish off the street. And that she has no money for the hospital. Our leader gave some of her own money to go buy stronger medication from the pharmacy. And we found a place for her to rest. We prayed with her for healing and I saw tears of pleading run down her face. My gut feeling inside is that only GOd can help this woman right now. I joined the rest of the team as we treated a wide range of sicknesses. TB, skin diseases, worms...but my mind was still on her. Lunch came around, and I made sure she and her girls had some food and water. I checked her temperature and Terrimikasi Yesus (Thank you, Jesus), her fever was completely gone! And she was able to eat. As I sat with her on the floor, thanking Jesus, my heart was overjoyed by the fact that we serve a loving GOd that saw her in the garden and brought her to us to be healed.